Travel Alerts: Sulawesi, Indonesia Tsunami 


Are you not sure about something? We have pulled together our most commonly asked questions below. If you don't find the answer to your question, drop us a line at info@itrek.com.au or phone our call centre on 1300 884 430.

The answers below are a brief summary. Be sure to read the Product Disclosure Statement (PDS) to understand what is and isn't covered.



  • How long does it take to apply for a cover?
  • This can be done over the phone or on the internet in about five minutes with a Visa or Mastercard.


  • When do I receive confirmation that I'm covered?
  • As soon as you process the payment, you'll receive an automatic email to the address you nominated. That is your policy certificate which is proof of your cover.


  • How soon do I get my itrek travel insurance?
  • Your policy is generated as soon as your payment is processed.


  • I have purchased a policy and haven't received an email yet.
  • Give us a call with your policy number and we will confirm your email address and e-mail the policy certificate again for you.


  • How do I pay if I don't have a credit card?
  • You're able to pay by direct deposit, cheque, bank cheque or Australia Post money order. If you choose to do this, please contact our sales department first at 1300 884 430.


  • Can I purchase a policy if I've already left Australia?
  • No, you cannot purchase a policy after you have left Australia.



  • Can I go on the same policy as someone else who isn't related to me?
  • Yes! You don't need to be related to your travelling companion. You don't even have to live at the same address.


  • What is a dependant?
  • Dependants are your children or grandchildren not in full time employment, who are under the age of 21. In order to be classed as a dependant, the child must be travelling with their parent or grandparent at all times.


  • What cover do I have for personal items under luggage?
  • If you choose Adventurer or Pioneer, cover is provided for cameras (including all bags, lenses, tripods etc) up to $3000,up to $3000 for laptops (including bags etc.), $1000 for mobile phones (including PDAs and any items with phone capabilities) and $750 for all other unspecified items such as jewellery (a pair of earrings is classified as 1 item). If you're unsure if your item is covered, please contact our sales department on 1300 884 430.


  • Do you cover rental vehicle excess?
  • No, we don't provide cover for the excess payable for hire cars.


  • I'm having a stop-over outside of my selected destination. Is this covered?
  • When you apply for the Policy you need to tell us where you are travelling to. The premium you pay for the Policy depends on your destination/s.
    The Policy only covers loss injury or illness which occurs in the countries you have told us you will visit; however all stopovers of up to 2 nights in countries other than the USA are also covered.
    NB. We'll cover you for stopovers in the USA if you also nominate USA as a destination when you apply for cover.
    Cruises: If you're going on a cruise, you must tell us every country the ship will visit. You will not be covered in countries you have not told us about.
    Travellers on domestic cruises in Australian Waters may also purchase Comprehensive plan to ensure cover is available for emergency medical assistance and emergency medical and hospital expenses.


  • What sporting activities are covered?
  • Check out our full list of automatically included sports and activities.


  • What sporting activities are NOT covered?
  • We do not pay under any circumstances if:
    - Your claim arises because you hunt, race (other than on foot), engage in Open Water Sailing, play polo, go mountaineering or rock climbing using ropes or climbing equipment (other than for hiking) or from professional sport of any kind, or from parachuting or hang gliding.
    - Your claim arises because you dive underwater using an artificial breathing apparatus, unless you hold an open water diving license issued in Australia or you were diving under licensed instruction.
    - Your claim arises from travel in any air supported device other than as a passenger in a fully licensed aircraft operated by an airline or charter company. This exclusion does not apply to regulated or licensed ballooning.


  • Do you cover for terrorism?
  • In the event of an act or threat of terrorism, there is no cover under the following sections:
    Section 12 - Cancellation Fees & Lost Deposits
    Section 13 - Travel Delay
    Section 14 - Alternative Transport Expenses
    Cover is available under all plans for all necessary medical/hospital expenses, including bringing you Home, unless you are travelling in Australia.


  • There are government warnings against the country I'm travelling to, am I covered?
  • You'll need to check the smart traveller website for travel advice. If a country is listed as "do not travel" we will not provide cover if you to travel to this country and your claim arises because you did not follow advice in the mass media or any government or other official body's warning against travel to a particular country or parts of a country. If the country is listed as anything other than "do not travel" and during your journey it changes to "do not travel", we will provide cover for you to be brought home. Please contact us if you're unsure on this subject.



  • Do you cover for pre-existing medical conditions?
  • Travel insurance only provides cover for emergency overseas medical events that are unforeseen. Medical conditions that were pre-existing at the time of the policy being issued are not covered, unless they are a condition that we expressly agree to cover.

    If you have a Pre-existing Medical Condition that is not covered by this policy, we will not pay any claims arising from, related to or associated with that condition. This means that you may have to pay for an overseas medical emergency and any associated costs which can be prohibitive in some countries.

    Pre-existing Medical Condition (or "pre-existing condition") means:
    - An ongoing medical or dental condition of which you are aware, or related complication you have, or the symptoms of which you are aware;
    - A medical or dental condition that is currently being, or has been investigated, or treated by a health professional (including dentist or chiropractor ) at any time, in the past, prior to policy purchase
    - Any condition for which you take prescribed medicine;
    - Any condition for which you have had surgery;
    - Any condition for which you see a medical specialist; or
    - Pregnancy.

    For a full list of conditions we automatically cover provided you have not been hospitalized, including Day Surgery or Emergency Department attendance for that condition in the past 24 months, please see the PDS.